Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Damage

We are all settled in my parents' house now - me, Zander, Anakin, Demitra and Gideon. We all have had baths too - and it is tough to get that soot out. It clings like nobody's business. I'm actually just glad to have survived giving 2 large cats a bath - there is always the possibility of losing a limb during a cat bath! They are kinda mad at me...but they are clean - they'll get over it when they get hungry and want me to feed them again!



I got Anakin a couple of Nyla-bones when I was at the store getting their shampoo - a little treat for the little canine hero that "helped" the firemen. I meant for him to have one yesterday and one today - but the little snot worked his Grandma til she gave him both!

Here are some pics I took the night of the fire:



This is the mess of ashes that was left on what was once my nice ceramic tile floor - I think the floor just needs a good cleaning - thankfully, because I helped lay that tile and that is one of the hardest jobs ever! I didn't intend on ever replacing it - EVER!
Did I mention - EVER?


Here is the wall where the fire was:






Here is what is left of the toaster:






I don't think this survived:





This stand is what was holding the toaster:



This is the ceiling fan in the dining room


I have the same fan in my bedroom so you can see what color it should really be:


In this picture you can see how far down the smoke damage came on the wall from the ceiling


Here is the saddest little face I've ever seen - it breaks my heart.

Zander really is doing better now. I think the key is to keep him out of the house until its back to normal. Out of site, out of mind.

So, I've been trying to think of some way to thank the officers that ran through my house and basically took a load of fear off me. Any ideas? Surely my tax payer dollars can't say thank you enough....and its a little impersonal.

I did not get a call back from the claims agent yet either. When I say I want this cleaned up and fixed fast...I am not kidding! I hate to say I have a chip on my shoulder about them....but all I keep hearing is how they are going to try and screw me over. I'm going to try and give them the benefit of the doubt.....I really am.....any suggestions with this? I'm a "Homeowners Claim - Virgin".....


16 comments:

Sandy said...

Yikes, what a mess!

angi_b72 said...

wow i would have cried cried cried!!! I would have no patientcs for those people either.

Ronda's Rants said...

I am so glad you are okay!
We had a flood in our home...my floors were ruined! We didn't have very good insurance as it is difficult to get good home owners insurance in Florida. But they were great and handled everything quickly! I think they were afraid of black mold developing!
Any hoo, replaced everything, did a great job and THEN promptly canceled me!
My brother's an officer and I don't think they are allowed to accept any monetary gifts but I bet they would love homemade cookies from Zander and you!
I am so very grateful you are okay!

M said...

That looks awful, but it could have been worse, so again, I am glad you got out of there. All insurance companies will try and screw you - they want your money and they don't want to pay out. Make a list now of everything that needs to be replaced and price it up.

Fireman and cops love food, so make them something and they will be happy!

Unknown said...

For sure bake up a bunch of cookies for the Fire Guys!

I can't believe how lucky you were not to of been hurt.
I couldn't stop thinking about you guys yesterday and how thankful I am that it wasn't worse.
At least you'r safe with family there to help you.

I've only had to do a homeowners claim once and it was a walk in the park and I got more than I expected.
Think possitive : )

Hippie Family... said...

Just remember in todays market you can easily be anyone's client and this is the time when they need to prove their business to you...
Let me know if you need help with the ins co. or to vent till yuo get worked up enough to go off if needed, I am here to rial u up.. As usual!
that looks bad but not as bad as it could. guess your paintin this weekend?

Karol said...

Ditto everyone else! Cake, cookies, anything homemade I'm sure they would love! Especially if there was some Zander love in there!

I hope that you get your claim moving quickly!

Alpacamountain said...

I've never had to do a claim either...I'm no help, haha I'm a 43year old virgin too.
I think anything you bake, the guys would love! Are you ready for me to send you a cook book? Do you want a diet one, a diabetes one (it was dads), Paula Dean...she'll make you have to use the diet one, but what a fun ride that is :)
I'm serious,,,whatever you need.
Want me to come and watch Z for ya? Just checking.
Off the subject...I LOVE the new look!
I'll be looking for your email telling me which cookbook you want.

Was it the toaster that started the fire? I think I will go throw mine out in the snow.

Melissa B. said...

Karla: Thank goodness everyone is all right! I've got something over at my place today that might cheer you up a tad. Care to indulge in a little Bush Bashing?

Susie said...

Gosh!! Seeing the damage...you guys were really lucky to get out unharmed!! Thank goodness.

I don't have any claims experience so I don't have any wisdom to pass on. Just good luck. I hope you get swift service.

John Deere Mom said...

Oh Karla...that is awful! I am so glad you guys are all okay. I have no claim experience either. I would be persistent, but not nagging. You want them to know how important it is without being pushy. And for the officers? I would definitely bake them something...and wear something slinky when you deliver it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Messy Karla, I guess the toaster in defunct, just give it a nice burial. Glad you and Zander are okay. Cookies for the firemen, cool idea.

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/
http://thingsthatfizz.blogspot.com/

Christy said...

Holy Smokes! Your poor dining room:(

Khadra said...

Oh that is a mess :(
My husband used to do demolition and often in houses with fire damage. That black stuff is AWFUL to remove. I feel for you.

Shannon said...

Oh, Karla! I am sooooo glad you and Z are ok! And the pets, too! OMGosh, I can just imagine the shock you were in (and probably still are, huh?)
Hope you can get everything settled soon. I've never had to file a homeowner's insurance claim, so I've no advice for you :(

Jennifer said...

OMG Karla--how scary!! I'm glad you guys are ok! I'm guessing the toaster was the culprit? Going back to read...