So, I don't know why I take everything so personally, but I do. I mean, sometimes I really need to be smacked. I don't recommend anyone try because I'm not sure what I would do......oh, and it would hurt! So, today's story is about potty training....
I have not pushed Zander to potty train. Zander is not the type of child you can push to do anything. You have to lead him to something as if it were his idea. If you push him...he will rebel that much harder against whatever it is you are wanting him to do. I figured this out early and quickly with him.....because this little apple doesn't fall far from the tree at all!!!
There were several of us at my work that were pregnant at the same time. I ran into one of my friend's/coworker today. Her son is a couple of weeks older than Zander. She had mentioned that she was going to work with him last weekend to potty train...so I asked her how that was going. She said it was going ok. He would go in the potty for a few times and then would have accidents. I mentioned that I wasn't working really hard with Zander because he didn't want to go in the potty. He only did it when he wanted to....and I said something about how Z said he liked diapers. She said that she didn't even have any diapers in the house anymore...she had bought him some cheap undies and has just been using those. But she also said that he hadn't pooped in the toilet yet either....which means she must be having to clean that up. I seriously don't know what my problem is...but when she said "Oh, I don't even have diapers in the house anymore."....it just sounded a bit condescending....and I snapped back a bit.
I said "Well, I just had my floors redone and I don't want any of that ruining them. I don't care if he's 5 and using a diaper...as long as my floors are clean." And then I kind of walk away. Yeah, can you said "What a B***h!". Yeah, that's pretty much me. I felt really bad about it too.....not bad enough to go back and apologize mind you....just bad enough for it to eat at me. It was just so petty and it sounded stupid.
On my lunch break I went to this 2nd hand children's store to try and sell some stuff and I ran into one of my other friends that had a baby around the same time as me. Her lil girl, Zoe, is about a month older than Zander. We had some idle chit chat and then I told her about my pettiness from before. She said she isn't pushing Zoe to potty train either. Zoe is another lil strong willed child....my friend and I call it the "Z connection". Don't ever name your child a name that starts with Z if you don't want a strong willed child....that's all I'm sayin'.
Anyway, I felt better after talking with her. I know each child is different. I know Zander will be potty trained when he's ready. I frankly don't care so much about it right now. I'm glad that I can take him out shopping and I don't have to run to find the nearest bathroom every time I walk in a store. So, right now apparently I'm lazy and its convenient.
I don't know why I got all defensive today. It just seems like sometimes we mommies get competitive or something about when our children do things. I need to get off it because I don't want to be like that. Its hard enough sometimes being a parent....its like the hardest but most rewarding job there is.
By the way....in case you didn't notice...I guess there is no point to this story....except maybe I'm a B***h!

8 comments:
You are NOT a B**ch! (Did I spell that right?)
All my children were potty trained at different ages and all before college!
But...I swear by this...
Every single time your little darling goes poop or pee in the potty they get M&M's just two or three (or whatever candy your child adores) Reserve it only for potty time! They will go to the potty.
I think you are right...there is something about being a mother that just brings out the tiger in me too.
Freud would concur wholeheartedly with your thinking...the way a person turns out all going back to his/her potty training. You don't want an anal retentive Z-Man on your hands, correctamundo?
What a coincidence - I am a bitch too! Porgie is 3 years and 2 months old, and she still isn't completely potty trained. Some days she goes potty all day, and other days she wears a diaper all day. Whatever. And I always put her in a diaper if we are going out in public. I am lazy too:)
I get the same way. Especially when people (even unknowingly) push that button. BTW, Cole was NOT at all interested in potty training until he was nearly 4. I didn't push it at all. It just happened when he was ready. And I think people who push it and clean up piss and sh!t all day are morons. Yeah, you can call me a b!tch too!!
Don't stress about the potty training! He has to be ready and it doesn't sound like he is just yet.
I think Pickle is ready--but I'm putting it off b/c of the move and stuff--poor thing!
And I don't blame you for saying that--the diaper comment WAS condescending!
Aw, we all have days like that. And no one is going to blame you for getting defensive when it seems someone has blasted how you're parenting your kid. YOU are his mom, YOU know what's best for Z. And if YOU don't think he's ready for potty-training, so be it. {{hugs}}
Hey, just so it happens before Kindergarten! And I can say that because my first son was 4 before he was trained. This is just the first of millions of times other mommies are going to make you feel that way...grades, sports, colleges...I'm just sayin' "don't let the bitches get you down!"
Post a Comment